Sunday, January 16, 2011

Julio Cortazar

I feel that I connected a lot with Julio Cortazar’s Our Demeanor at Wakes. In Our Demeanor at Wakes involves hypocrisy, social competition and social control. At 20 years old I feel all three of these social issues are actively involved in my life. I feel that with friends and even family social competition and social control take over and change relationships. There is also a lot of hypocrisy in friendships. You give your friends advice, but when that situation occurs with you, you might not follow your own advice.  Julio Cortazar’s short stories did not change my view of the world. In some of his short stories bad things occur which is unfortunate, but bad things occur in real life often. I loved Julio Cortazar’s use of magical realism. I truly could see the lines from fantasy and reality blending together. I loved how the stories made my head twirl. I have never read anything like these short stories and I loved them. When I first read the Continuity of Parks I did not understand the complexity of the story. I did not expand my imagination and see what was really behind the story. I very much enjoyed Julio Cortazar’s short stories. They take me out of my normal element and make me think outside the box, while teaching about others cultures. I love it!

1 comment:

  1. I agree that "Our Demeanor at Wakes" has a pretty scary element to it. The issue of social control can really be used to bad ends, just in this story it is sort of funny because it is so over the top, but watching the Golden Globes last night reminded me of this story in the hypocritical exaggeration that people start to believe.

    ReplyDelete