Friday, April 1, 2011

The Stranglehold of English Lit.

I thought the poem "The Stranglehold of English Lit." had a very interesting layout the caught my eye first off. By making the words stand, stab, jab, and gore all on separate lines going down from one another show the disgust the writer has. The poem showed how some Africans disagreed with the teachings of American literature in their education. Although this poem was hard for me to connect to personally, I understand how they could see the readings of Jane Austen as an insult. I believe the Africans feel that the reading of these novels does not in any way reflect or link to their type of society. They also were being pushed away from their own personal rights and beliefs. In other ways I disagree with their thoughts. As a high school student I learned Spanish, which involved literature, movies and learning how to speak. For example, now in college I am taking World Literature classes where I am learning about different culture through literature. Although the Africans feel that Jane Austin’s work does not connect with them personally, they are wrong. Although the piece of literature might be written in a different time, or from a different area of the world, there is one thing I have learned in World Literature is that in one way or another every piece of literature connects with you somehow. I personally am not a huge fan of poetry, but I did enjoy this piece because I felt that it had a much deeper meaning than what was shown.

1 comment:

  1. I like your point about how reading the literatures of different cultures can be beneficial, and that there are real human connections that can be made across cultures. I guess what Mnthali is annoyed about is that the British colonial literature was presented as better than African literature. In the position you lay out, it is all equal and we can learn from all of it. I think Mnthali would probably agree with you in that case.

    ReplyDelete